velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Jochen Toppe" <joc...@jtoee.com>
Subject Re: High Traffic Scenario for Velocity
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:18:46 GMT
Resin used to be faster than Tomcat 3.x, but with TC 5.0? I somehow doubt
it is that much faster anymore, but I haven't seen any numbers lately.

As to the high traffic site. Soon, I'm working on it, 600 million PI/month
enough? OK, it won't solely be velocity based, just to allow the customer
to exchange little snippets inside the portal framework using their own
templates. I am however fortunate enough to use a CMS system with
excellent caching and not to have to generate fully personalized pages.

Load tests are pending in our project, I do expect a degradation in
performance, that is obvious. Velocity just isn't compiled code. I don't
expect it to be a problem though, there is that cache :)

As far as caching is concerned, one can always look into using a caching
framework like oscache (opensymphony.org) on top of everything. Velocity
itself just caches the parsed AST trees (which is good, I would hate to
have to reparse the templates all the time). That and good design are
probably all you need.

Cheers,
  Jochen