velocity-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: Problem with setting charset in multipart form page
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:34:23 GMT
Thursday, November 4, 2004, 11:44:47 AM, Katrin Grunwald wrote:

> Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it didn't work.
> I use Velocity in combination with Tomcat and Struts. I created a class
> extending the VelocityViewServlet class, that comes along with the
> Velocity jars. In that subclass, I have set the encoding constants from
> "ISO-8859-1" to "UTF-8".
> Additionaly, I set the request's and response's character encoding to
> UTF-8 (in doPost(), as well as in doGet()).
> It doesn't change anything...

There can be components whose behavior is possibly buggy (e.g. some of
the early Jetty 5 betas or alphas had bugs regarding input charsets, or
MySQL JDBC can be absolutely mad), so it would be important to cleanly
identify with some carefully chosen tests what charset is actually used
in the *individual* steps... what does the browser believe about the
charset (which influences the charset used for sending the form field
values), the ServletRequest, and the ServletResponse... and, what Writer
does Velocity use anyway. And, if a database is involved as well, then
that's yet another component with at least two more points of failure
(the JDBC connection, and the actual storage).

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany