velocity-user mailing list archives

From Eric Fixler <...@fixler.com>
Subject Re: AbstractSearchTool + Struts
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:45:55 GMT
Thanks Shinobu.

I think I didn't phrase what I was asking so well.  In my understanding
of the way VelocityStruts works, a request goes

request->Struts Actions->VelocityViewServlet->vtl template

And what I really wanted to do was parse my query and manipulate my
AbstractSearchTool inside the relevant Struts Action, and then let
control get passed to VelocityViewServlet, etc.

I can see that VelocityViewServlet gets a ToolboxManager using
ServletToolboxManager.getInstance(servletContext, file), but there
doesn't seem to a way to share the tools easily elsewhere.

OTOH, looking at the docs again, maybe the way I pictured it just isn't
the way to do it.  It looks like the only way to have interaction
between the Struts action and the tool is to do a
request.setAttribute() in the preceding action and then look for an
attribute in the tool's setup() method.

thanks again, and sorry if I'm being thick
eric