velocity-user mailing list archives

From "John Rodriguez" <jr...@columbia.edu>
Subject setting up velocity to log to servlet log
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:55:11 GMT
Right now, Tomcat is set up to log to
${TOMCAT_HOME}/logs/localhost_log.yyyy-mm-dd.txt (yyyy-mm-dd being the
current date, of course).
I tire of Velocity using the AvalonLogSystem and logging to my app tree,
instead I wish to point it to the servlet logs (at least for this
particular app).

I read the manual and several docs online but I don't seem to be setting
it up correctly.  One way I figure this is the case, is that none of the
info messages I used to get in the WEB-INF/logs/velocity.log appear now,
e.g.

Resource Loader Instantiated:
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.ClasspathResourceLoader

I set up my velocity.properties as follows:
runtime.log.logsystem.class =
org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.SimpleLog4JLogSystem
runtime.log = blah.log #from my understanding, not needed, but just
renamed as check to make sure

This is all I do, and I reload the webapp in Tomcat and nothing happens.

I have seen configurations where the webapp creates logger objects at
runtime but I'd like to configure this outside of the code (via config
files or env vars) if possible.

All I want is to see something similar to the following in my
localhost_log.yyyy-mm-dd.txt (I'll worry about date formatting, etc.
later)

.
2005-01-10 00:05:44 StandardContext[/jrod/myproject]: Reloading this
Context is completed    #tomcat logs
Thu Jan 06 17:37:03 EST 2005   [info] Resource Loader Instantiated:
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader
#velocity logs
.

Any ideas for this noob? :-)

Respectfully,