velocity-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: problem with latin2
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:55:42 GMT
Tuesday, January 18, 2005, 11:41:24 PM, Katarzyna ChmurzyƄska wrote:

> Shinobu Kawai Yoshida wrote:
>
>>Hi Katarzyna,
>>

>>>I'm writing WEB application where I have to use polish fonts. I have set
>>>up input and output encodings to iso-8859-2 in velocity.properties, also
>>>compile application with option  -encoding latin2, templates are also
>>>set to iso-8859-2. I also use Postgres (database with option -E latin2).
>>>When I read data from database (which contains polish letters) and show
>>>it in navigator everything is ok.
>>>The problem is when I try to save data from form. After posting it I get
>>>"?" instead of every polish letter when validation fails, and when
>>>validation is ok every polish letter is gone (they are cut).
>>>To specify more I use Struts with Velocity.
>>>

>>The only problem is when you get input from the browser, is that
>>correct?  ie. Showing Polish statically or from your database with
>>your template is fine?
>>
>>If so, you should check the encoding of your request.  Does the Polish
>>characters show when you do request.getParameter("so-and-so")?  If
>>not, you need to set the encoding of your request to latin-2.
>>

> tried and nothing
> before reading from request I call
> request.setCharacterEncoding("iso-8859-2") and still get "?"

The problems is often that the text goes trough an extra charset
encodings/decodings when you try to examine it for debugging purposes,
and this can obliterate the traces of the root problem. To spot where
exactly the problem happens, print (e.g. log) the text on various phases
(e.g. when you get the request parameters) with *character codes*, that
is, with numbers. Then check if the printed UCS codes are OK at that
point. (As a catalog of UCS codes you may use "UniBook".)

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany