velocity-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@alaska.net>
Subject Re: XSLT + Velocity
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:24:19 GMT
Gopalakrishnan T <tgkforums@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Is it possible to create dynamic Velocity pages using XSLT + XML
combination
> We are creating Velcoity pages dynamically by getting the form
fields(Textbox,Combobox etc.) from a XML file. Is it possible to have a XSLT
file for each velocity page and create the form fields dynamically on the
fly.

Velocity is a server-side technology.  You can do whatever you like with the
data generated by Velocity once it's on the client side.  You can use
Velocity to generate html, frames, javascript, XForms, xml, stylesheets,
whatever.  If that's what you're talking about, then the questions you're
asking are not directly relevant to Velocity, but are instead questions
about using your web application framework properly to organize things,
whatever web app framework that may be.

Now if you're talking about transforming xml data into Velocity templates,
my question would be "Why?"   Why not just transform those xml templates
directly into your final output (html, etc)?   Does it really make sense to
transform a template (xslt) into another template (velocity), then translate
that template into your final output (html)?  What are you hoping to gain?

[Note that my experience with XSLT is extremely limited, so maybe I'm
attributing more power to it than it actually has.]

-Mike