velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Ryan M. Waters" <rwat...@datawareservices.com>
Subject question on velocity-tools-1.1 examples :: simple.war
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:04:56 GMT
I've read through the list (and online/offline documentation) in an
effort to rule out a lazy question, so I hope that this particular one
hasn't been asked before.

What I'm trying to do is get the velocity-tools simple.war example
application to work.  I'm running a fresh install of Tomcat 5.5 on
Windows (bleh) XP, velocity 1.4 and velocity-tools-1.1

Tomcat runs fine.  Also, I can successfully drop in the layout.war
example application and it runs fine, too(!).  When I drop in
simple.war, tomcat wigs with the following:

<from tomcat's stdout_20050304.log>
Mar 4, 2005 2:39:06 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive simple.war
Mar 4, 2005 2:39:08 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
SEVERE: Error deploying web application archive simple.war
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

For more information on my environment, I have the following .jar files,
copied from velocity and velocity-tools, in %tomcat%/shared/lib :

commons-beanutils.jar
commons-collections.jar
commons-digester.jar
commons-logging.jar
commons-validator.jar
servlet.jar
sslext.jar
velocity-dep-1.4.jar
velocity-tools-view-1.1.jar

My JDK is Sun's Java 2 SDK, SE v1.4.2_06

velocity-tools contains everything needed for running example
applications.  Along with the good documentation on how to use Velocity,
examples are really what's helpful to a newb teaching themselves a new
thing.  If the servlet examples in velocity-1.4 don't run as-is, why
include them?

Thank you for Velocity, and thank you for your time.

- Ryan