velocity-user mailing list archives

From Malcolm Edgar <malcolm.ed...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Click web application framework
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:43:18 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Malcolm Edgar <malcolm.edgar@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 23:44:21 +1100
Subject: Re: Click web application framework
To: Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb@alaska.net>

Hi Mike,

that is a good question. I think Click is trying to hit a different
sweat spot than most of frameworks out there.

It is designed for commercial developers who don't how don't have a
lot of time/interest and just want to get the job done.  Its very easy
to learn and well documented. There are only 22 control classes and
about 4 other classes you need to know about as a developer.

The design is also intuitive, for anyone who has done traditional UI
programming (Swing, Delphi, etc.) You can hookup a button to event
handler with one line:

button.setListener(this, "onButtonClick");
..

public boolean onButtonClick() {
..
}

Click is tightly integrated with Velocity, and makes Velocity work out
of the box. Velocity is an ideal templating language for HTML
development, and is extremely easy to learn.

I will write up some more notes to comparing it with the other
frameworks you mentioned soon.  If I don't go to bed in the next 2
minutes I think my wife will divorce me...

regards Malcolm Edgar