velocity-user mailing list archives

From jeich...@optonline.net
Subject Re: Problem with decimal in most recent snapshot
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:02:01 GMT
Thank you so much Nathan.  I have spent much time today reading and rereading your words and
looking at the code.

I think I understand now.  Thank you for taking the time to explain it.

In general I had been doing things a little bit wrong, but it used to work in 1.4.  Now it
doesn't.

I need to figure out now how to get the instance of the VelocityViewServelet for use in my
email template merger.  Not sure how to do it but looking around.

I had another problem that I think can help others in the future.  In looking through the
archives I noticed other people having the same null pointer exception I was having.  I went
through the code and noticed that if a person did not "init()" a velocity engine, the resourceManager
never gets initialized.  When they call the function below in RuntimeInstance.java, they get
the null pointer exception.

    public Template getTemplate(String name, String  encoding)
        throws ResourceNotFoundException, ParseErrorException, Exception
    {
        return (Template)
                resourceManager.getResource(name,
                    ResourceManager.RESOURCE_TEMPLATE, encoding);
    }

I think once I figure out how to get the VVS and use that for my templating, things will just
work again with 1.5.

Thank you so much both of you for your patience and help.

JohnE