velocity-user mailing list archives

From <lawre...@marchex.com>
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryException Processing Velocity Template
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 21:35:10 GMT
Thanks for the suggestion.   I tried putting that, along with

file.resource.loader.cache = true

in my velocity.properties file.   Both did not work.   Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

-L

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 02:11:28PM -0700, jian chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This maybe because you haven't turned on template caching. I had
> similar problem before, and even if I only used evaluate(...) method
> and load the template using my own java program, it happened when the
> for loop is lot of iterations.
>
> The bottom line for my problem is I need to turn on template caching,
> so, velocity will not try to cache the objects it parsed during each
> time of the iteration.
>
> I did:
> ri.setProperty(RuntimeConstants.FILE_RESOURCE_LOADER_CACHE, "true");
>
> where ri is a runtime instance.
>
> Will this fix your issue?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jian
>

> On 5/5/05, lawrence@marchex.com <lawrence@marchex.com> wrote:
> > I am getting an OutOfMemoryException:
> >
> > org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'get'
in  class org.apache.velocity.tools.struts.TilesTool threw exception class java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
: null

> > when I am creating a large velocity file.  The vm file itself is fairly small, but
this piece of velocity is causing the exception:

> > #foreach($row in $List)
> > #end
> >
> > List is a list of relatively small objects (5-6 Strings, a couple of BigDecimals),
but the List itself contains approximately 66,000 entries.  Unfortunately, unless I set the
tomcat JVM to use a heap size of at least 256M, this velocity template throws an OutOfMemoryException
when it is being processed.