velocity-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: byte order mark and InputStreamReader problem
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 01:21:42 GMT
Tuesday, May 3, 2005, 12:51:13 AM, jian chen wrote:

> Thanks Shinobu, that is exactly what I want.
>
> It is bad that SUN never bothers to fix the InputStreamReader BOM issue.

What is causing the "browser connected to the server fine but then it
waited infinitely" phenomena? Where can things hang up or go into
infinite loop here? The worst that I could imagine is a question mark at
the beginning of the HTML document if you are using ISO-8859-x and other
restricted charsets for the HTTP response.

> Cheers,
>
> Jian
>
> On 5/2/05, Shinobu Kawai <shinobu.kawai@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jian,
>>
>> > I created a template in UTF8 encoding on my windows machine. When I
>> > rendered it on the web, the browser connected to the server fine but
>> > then it waited infinitely.
>> >
>> > I then modified the problematic template and got rid of the byte order
>> > mark (BOM) at the very beginning of the template. This time, the page
>> > loaded  successfully in the browser.
>> >
>> > What I am getting at is, Velocity uses java.io.InputStreamReader, and
>> > given UTF8 encoding, the InputStreamReader does not handle the byte
>> > order mark.
>> >
>> > I also read somewhere that this problem of not able to handle BOM  has
>> > been a long standing bug with JDK implementation.
>> >
>> > Now, just want to know you guys idea if Velocity should be hacked to
>> > use a custom-made InputStreamReader that could open the file, detect
>> > the encoding, and discard the byte order mark, if applicable.
[snip]

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany