velocity-user mailing list archives

From Shinobu Kawai <shinobu.ka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ifnotnull
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 21:34:32 GMT
Hi JohnE,

> I like velocity very much, but I do not like its handling of null in general.  I do not
want to have to put a isNull check into every object being checked.  This at least seems a
somewhat straight forward directive.   I am not sure how efficient it is in comparison to
the other methods of checking and efficiency is important always.

Performance never bugged me, but any benchmarks results are welcome.  :)

> In terms of configuring,  I have very recent Velocity and Velocity Tools from Subversion.
 Besides that, all I did was do what the link directed me to do which was to put in those
two properties in the velocity.properties file.

> Should I do something else?  If so maybe the document should be updated?

You need to actually compile the directive and put it in your class
path.  It's not part of VelocityTools.
  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/IfNullDirective
  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-velocity/IfNotNullDirective

> Also maybe you can mention something on performance and whether this is a good way to
go about it all.  There were like five ways mentioned.

As I said, performance never bugged me, but my otherwise comments are
written in the "Note:"s for each approach.  In your case, I think
approach #1 might do best.
  #if( $form )
    #set ($attr = $form.getBean())
  #end