velocity-user mailing list archives

From jian chen <chenjian1...@gmail.com>
Subject byte order mark and InputStreamReader problem
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 18:36:45 GMT
Hi,

I created a template in UTF8 encoding on my windows machine. When I
rendered it on the web, the browser connected to the server fine but
then it waited infinitely.

I then modified the problematic template and got rid of the byte order
mark (BOM) at the very beginning of the template. This time, the page
loaded  successfully in the browser.

What I am getting at is, Velocity uses java.io.InputStreamReader, and
given UTF8 encoding, the InputStreamReader does not handle the byte
order mark.

I also read somewhere that this problem of not able to handle BOM  has
been a long standing bug with JDK implementation.

Now, just want to know you guys idea if Velocity should be hacked to
use a custom-made InputStreamReader that could open the file, detect
the encoding, and discard the byte order mark, if applicable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jian