velocity-user mailing list archives

From "David You" <d...@netblue.com>
Subject RE: OutOfMemoryException Processing Velocity Template
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 20:43:50 GMT
Why do you use StringWriter? That is cached in the memory.
How big is the StringWriter after the merge?

David

-----Original Message-----
From: lawrence@marchex.com [mailto:lawrence@marchex.com]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 1:22 PM
To: Velocity Users List
Subject: Re: OutOfMemoryException Processing Velocity Template

Alright, I ran this little piece of code:

public static void main( String args[] ) throws Exception
    {
        /* first, we init the runtime engine.  Defaults are fine. */

        Velocity.init();

        /* lets make a Context and put data into it */

        VelocityContext context = new VelocityContext();

        List results = ReportBean.runLargeReport();

        context.put("List", results);

        /* lets render a template */

        StringWriter w = new StringWriter();

        Velocity.mergeTemplate("/myfile.vm", context, w );
        System.out.println(" template : " + w );

        /* lets make our own string to render */
    }

results is a List of 66000 objects and requires about 8megs of memory.
The "mergeTemplate" requires at least 230 MB of memory.   Any
suggestions?

-L

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 11:53:30AM -0700, jian chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess the writer Ilkka talked about is when using Velocity as a
> standalone template engine.
>
> Right now I don't have a good clue, could you run Velocity as a
> standalone template engine and render the page to see if there is a
> huge memory usage?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jian
>
> On 5/6/05, lawrence@marchex.com <lawrence@marchex.com> wrote:
> > Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by what "kind of writer" I'm
using.   Where would I find out?   How would I change this (to maybe a
StringBuffer writer?)

> > Also, each column contains a String that is at most, 200 characters,
most are closer to 10-20.   There are a total of 10 columns.

> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Lawrence
> >
> > On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 09:11:13PM +0300, Ilkka Priha wrote:
> > > What kind of writer are you using and how long are the items? 66
000 HTML
> > > table rows with 5 numeric columns consumes about 32 MB when
buffered into a
> > > string writer. If the items are longer, it takes much more memory.
> > >
> > > -- Ilkka

Then I

had
method

Invocation of
org.apache.velocity.tools.struts.TilesTool

itself
is

$!row.item5)</td>

couple of