velocity-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Mason <and...@assertis.co.uk>
Subject MVC with velocity
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:46:02 GMT
Hi, just trying to understand the model view controller design pattern and how
to apply Velocity to it.

I've got a web-app, which has a main-control web-page with links as such down
one side (it currently uses a velocity servlet to render a template to display
it to the browser):

________________________
 - Edit Products
  - Add Product
  - Edit Products
  - Remove Products

 - Manage Emails
  - Add account
  - Remove account
________________________

So far I have it working like this:
Clicking on 'Add Product'  means that a new page loads with controls on the
right, which allow you to add a product . Which then of course provides you
with
a form to add the product. This obviously goes off to the database to add the
product then returns the details to the screen. All of these pages are
rendered
by the velocity servlet.

I have classes which are called in the velocity servlet, that do things like
adding products, getting product information etc..but ultimately its 1
velocity servlet that handles adding the product  and then gettingthe new
product info and rendering the template.
I then have another velocity servlet which handles editing the products,
another one for removing etc..

Correct me if i'm wrong but this doesn't seem like i'm using MVC pattern, and
I was hoping someone could post an example (not code) of how to handle this
problem using MVC, with servlets and velocity. I've read quite a few
articles and books (Mastering tomcat development etc..) on it but i am having
trouble grasping how i would use it in this
situation.

thanks in advance