velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Malcolm Edgar" <Malcolm.Ed...@macquarie.com>
Subject RE: Velocity vs Jamon
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:27:15 GMT
Hi Bob,

You might want to look at XMLC if you are really concerned about compile time safety.

http://xmlc.objectweb.org/doc/index.html

http://www.theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=XMLCvsJSP

regards Malcolm Edgar

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Tarling [mailto:bob.tarling@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, 4 July 2005 8:30 PM
To: velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Velocity vs Jamon

Apologies in advance, I can't help but think this must have asked
before but I can't find where to search the user list.

I'm in the early stages of choosing a template engine to use to
replace the PGML generation of http://gef.tigris.org and
http://argouml.tigris.org  with something simpler and more standard
than GEF's own proprietary tee file templates.

One of the problems with the tee templates is that they are complex
and interpreted at runtime and the java application is inspected by
reflection. It is easy for the developer to make a mistake and this is
only spotted at run time.

I was hoping to find a template engine that offered as much compile
time safety as possible.

Am I correct in thinking that Velocity would give me the same lack of
compile time safety as my current tee files?

Are there any plans to produce a velocity template compiles against
the rest of my application?

It's not the performance of reflection that concerns me, more the
compile time safety - are there any tools that can validate a velocity
template against the source or bytecode of my application? If I can
add this as an ant task then I would consider this as comile time
safety.

I'm keen to look at Velocity based on its reputation and my experience
with other apache products. Any plans to embed JXPath expressions?

Regards

Bob.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie
Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not
read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and
should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may