velocity-user mailing list archives

From Mikko Nylén <mikko.ny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How do I error check my forms?
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:46:27 GMT
Paul Goepfert wrote:

> I created a web app using velocity and struts.  I have used the
> velstruts package in my implementation.  I now want to add error
> checking to my app.  I am not sure how to do it. Should I be doing the
> error checking on the velocity or struts side of the implementation?
>
> -Paul

I think you should do form validation in your ActionForm's validate()
method, or use Validator framework (via Struts plugin).

At Velocity side you are limited to only display form validation errors
and do client-side validation using JavaScript, which isn't quite
effective taking in account that not everyone has JavaScript enabled.
So, if you prefer to inform users about possible errors before sending
forms, include also client-side validation using JavaScript, but do not
forget the server-side validation. As far as I know, it's quite easy to
add both client- and server-side validations with Validator framework.

- Mikko Nylén