velocity-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Bubna <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Language Lawyer question (was: Re: syntax issue)
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:13:31 GMT
On 8/25/05, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hps@intermeta.de> wrote:
> Nathan Bubna <nbubna@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >barely) and specificity.  Shorthand notation ($bar.foo or $bar.Foo) is
>
> Personally, I'd like to get $bar.Foo deprecated in favour of $bar.foo
>
> Question for the velocity language lawyers ;-) :
>
> --- cut ---
> public class TestBean {
>     private String baz = null;
>     private String foo = null;
>
>     public String getBAZ() {
>         return baz;
>     }
>
>     public void setBAZ(String baz) {
>         this.baz = baz;
>     }
>
>     public String getFoo() {
>         return foo;
>     }
>
>     public void setFoo(String foo) {
>         this.foo = foo;
>     }
> }
> --- cut ---
>
> $test is an instance of the test bean above.
> --- cut ---
> $test.setBAZ("ok")
> $test.setFoo("ok")
>
> $test.getbaz()
> $test.getBaz()
> $test.getBAZ()
> $test.getbAZ()
>
> $test.baz
> $test.Baz
> $test.BAZ
> $test.bAZ
>
> $test.getfoo()
> $test.getFoo()
> $test.getFOO()
> $test.getfoo()
>
> $test.foo
> $test.Foo
> $test.FOO
> $test.foo
> --- cut ---
>
> a: What is the outcome? (without trying it out or peeking below ... ;-) )

--- cut ---
$test.setBAZ("ok")
$test.setFoo("ok")

$test.getbaz()
$test.getBaz()
ok
ok

$test.baz
$test.Baz
ok
ok

$test.getfoo()
ok
$test.getFOO()
$test.getfoo()

ok
ok
$test.FOO
ok
--- cut ---

> b: Did it surprise you?

umm.  i think *you* are wrong in your results.  there is no way that
the last value ($test.foo) came out as $test.fOO!  :)  but assuming
you were right and typed $test.fOO for the last input value (which is
what i presume you meant, then the answer is "No, I wasn't at all
surprised.  The rules for Velocity are quite simple.

> c: Is this according to the Sun bean Specs?

i neither know, nor care very much.

> I'd love to see the Velocity introspector to move closer to the actual
> bean spec (though it probably predates it...). Which means IMHO that
> $foo.bar and $foo.getBar() are equivalent and behave the same.

umm.  $foo.bar and $foo.getBar() *are* equivalent in Velocity.