velocity-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: [ANN] Viento - WHY?
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:34:52 GMT
Friday, October 7, 2005, 7:14:41 PM, Chad Meadows wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> "In any case, if the only reason was the syntax, say, and the semantics
> and capabilities of FreeMarker were satisfactory, why not just tweak
> FreeMarker's javacc grammar to use different delimiters that you like
> better?"
>
> Do you have a FAQ or something on FreeMarker which describes this for us
> who are not familiar with javacc.  The syntax issue has been the primary
> reason that has kept many users away from FreeMarker in my area as well.

What exactly was their problem with the syntax?

> Just from the sample of emails on this list it would seem this is a very
> important issue.  Some guidance on how to tweak the delimeters may prove
> to be very valuable.

It seems that very soon you can chose between using < and > or [ and ].
It will be added because many users has reported that he has problems
because the interferences with the HTML/XML syntax (that < and > are
reserved in them) confuses certain tools.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany