velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jason Pettiss <jason.pett...@TheCatalis.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Viento - WHY?
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 00:30:56 GMT
He was answering the question that was originally asked-- how come so
many different template frameworks, why doesn't every developer just
flock to one and we all work in one big happy template commune.  And the
answer should be obvious given the here.  Everyone has an agenda.  Some
have an agenda to bitterly whine on other user lists about their project
not being as popular as they want it to be.  Others have an agenda to
continue support software which is developed by the foundation they
belong to under the licensing terms and software model they believe in,
thus every point in the FAQ is relevant.

But I found this snippet from his email particularly useful relevant:

--------------
Can we please have an understanding, that this is the users list of
the Velocity project of the Jakarta project of the Apache Software
Foundation. It is intended as a forum where Velocity users can discuss
about Velocity and ask questions and the contributors and committers
try to answer these questions. It is __not__ an advocacy forum or a list
to discuss if there are different solutions for the problem space that
Velocity lives in. It is also not a feature comparisation or product
promotion forum. There are general and advocacy lists inside the ASF
where this behaviour is tolerated and even encouraged.

So bugger off, already.