velocity-user mailing list archives

From Chad Meadows <cmead...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Viento - WHY?
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 19:12:51 GMT
Yes, it is mainly for the reasons you already stated, plus just on a
visual level the freeMarker tags don't stand out as well.  Especially to
people who are not exactly the most XML savvy.  I think it is more of a
first impression thing that sometimes is hard to get over.  Seems to
create some confusion among some people who look at the tags as they look
kinda like xml, but they are not xml.
[ and ] seems like a reasonable alternative to me.

Thanks,

Chad.

Daniel Dekany <ddekany@freemail.hu>
10/07/2005 01:34 PM
Please respond to
"Velocity Users List"

"Velocity Users List" <velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [ANN] Viento - WHY?

Friday, October 7, 2005, 7:14:41 PM, Chad Meadows wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> "In any case, if the only reason was the syntax, say, and the semantics
> and capabilities of FreeMarker were satisfactory, why not just tweak
> FreeMarker's javacc grammar to use different delimiters that you like
> better?"
>
> Do you have a FAQ or something on FreeMarker which describes this for us
> who are not familiar with javacc.  The syntax issue has been the primary
> reason that has kept many users away from FreeMarker in my area as well.

What exactly was their problem with the syntax?

> Just from the sample of emails on this list it would seem this is a very
> important issue.  Some guidance on how to tweak the delimeters may prove
> to be very valuable.

It seems that very soon you can chose between using < and > or [ and ].
It will be added because many users has reported that he has problems
because the interferences with the HTML/XML syntax (that < and > are
reserved in them) confuses certain tools.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany