velocity-user mailing list archives

From Claude Brisson <cla...@renegat.net>
Subject Re: Switching from PHP to Java/Velocity, Performance?
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:57:06 GMT
Le jeudi 13 avril 2006 à 16:37 +0300, Florin Vancea a écrit :
> > You can have a look at Velosurf. It's a small database access layer that
> > won't induce any bottleneck by it owns. Nowadays, every good database
> > will already have a built-in caching mechanism.
>
> Yes, true, but at the end of the day it's network roundtrips and overhead
> that kills you.

Depends. The pipes between the front computer and the database are
usually not a problem. Plus, very often, an overhead is made of very few
specific queries and my strategy is then to introduce a specific cache,
rather than cache everything.

Le jeudi 13 avril 2006 à 15:41 +0200, Dominik Bruhn a écrit :
> Hy,
> > Nowadays, every good database
> > will already have a built-in caching mechanism.
> so do you think that caching on the servlet-side is not needed and I should
> leave this task to the Database-Engine? This would simplify the whole task
> because I don't have to keep the caches on each server in sync.

That's my point.

> BUT: Why is everbyody talking about caching? I think altough the
> Database-Servers might cache some data I still have to keep some of it in my
> servlets, at least those parts who are needed very often and change very
> seldom.

Exactly. Velosurf has a caching option that you can set to true for the most
needed entities.

  Claude