velocity-user mailing list archives

From Dominik Bruhn <domi...@dbruhn.de>
Subject Re: Switching from PHP to Java/Velocity, Performance?
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:43:06 GMT
Hy,
thanks for all responses. As I have written PHP-Scripts for years I know the
differences between writing a PHP-Script and writing a Java-Programm: Java
forces you to write "better" code when PHP lefts the possibility to
write "ugly" code. I also know the advandage of PHP: You can develop fast and
don't need much knowledge to start.

My plans were to Use a VelocityViewServlet and Velocity-Templates. In between
a small layer for abstraction and Page-Handling and Permissions. As
Database-Layer I use JDBC. I tired Hibernate but I haven't seen any
advandages in it. I don't want to use Struts because I think its useless for
me. The whole Servlet runs on a Tomcat-Container.

When talking about the ability to cluster the Servlet in future I thought
about the following solution: I two or more Tomcat's on different servers.
Then I put a Webserver with Proxy-Support in front which distributes the
Requests over the Tomcats. This seems a quite simple and fast solution. What
are the point I have to think of when realising such a system? Where are the
facts where the people tell that PHP ist better when using clustering? I cant
understand this!

Thanks
Dominik