velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Will Glass-Husain" <wgl...@forio.com>
Subject Re: Switching from PHP to Java/Velocity, Performance?
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:33:37 GMT
Hi Dominik,

Wow, that's a busy site.

The short answer is that writing a high performance application is
mostly about architecture and only partially about language.  If you
read the pages and pages of comments on that famous post, the
intelligent comments mostly boil down to that response.  Caching is
critical, (for both database queries and page generation), as is good
database design.

Velocity is unlikely to be a significant part of your bottleneck as
performance with template caching turned on is quite fast.

WILL

On 4/12/06, Dominik Bruhn <dominik@dbruhn.de> wrote:
> Hy,
> I currently got a online-community running on a PHP-Bulletin-Board-Software. I
> didn't write the software myself but I modified it over the time so the code
> grew and became quite unreadable, hard to understand and also slow.
>
> Some data for the site:
> 300Users online at the same time
> 30661 visitors per day
> 10GB Traffic per day
>
> The site is currently running on two servers, one for the dynamic PHP-Scripts
> and one for the Database (MySQL) and the static content.
>
> I was thinking about a complete rewrite for a long time and now I started to
> plan it more detailed. As I have used Velocity and Java for another (but
> quite small) project this was what first came into my mind. I also hoped for
> some speed increases from a Java-Application due to the fact that is possible
> to cache the Data-Base Data and save Queries to the DB. I'm also thinking
> about the time when there might be more than one server needed for the site
> (due to increasing visitors).
> My PHP and Java knowledeges are about equal, but I have never done such a big
> project in Java (neither in PHP) and so i'm searching for help.
>
> On my search through the internet I found a webpage where they told that
> friendster (really big site) switched from java to PHP due to performance.
> This made me think about my decision.
> http://troutgirl.com/blog/index.php?/archives/22_Friendster_goes_PHP.html
>
> I fear programming the whole Website in Java and then recognizing that its
> much to slow for this purpose. Thats why I write to this mailinglist. Are
> there any people who made a similar step from php to java and can tell about
> performance gains or looses.
>
> Can anybody else tell me where there are differences and how the influence the
> performance.
>
> Thanks

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain