velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Will Glass-Husain" <wgl...@forio.com>
Subject Re: Switching from PHP to Java/Velocity, Performance?
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 02:31:50 GMT
Oh, no.  Here come the religious arguments.  Although you'll likely
find more Java than PHP programmers on this list!

To be fair, although I'm a Java programmer I attended a compelling
presentation on designing scalable apps with PHP.  (Taught by Cal
Henderson of Flickr).  So, I'm wary of blanket statements condemning
scripting languages or PHP.
http://www.carsonworkshops.com/dev/henderson/20JUN2005_photos.html

Anyone have good practical resources/articles on scalable web app
design to point Dominik towards?

WILL

On 4/12/06, Peter Harrison <peter@nbn.co.nz> wrote:
> Dominik Bruhn wrote:
> > Hy Will,
> > thanks to your response. My question was not only concerning Velocity but also
> > about Java in General in Comparison to PHP. I hope that there are some
> > Developers who have user Java and Velocity in realy huge sites.
> >

> You must also consider complexity. If you have a site which is simple
> then PHP will probably be fine, even under heavy load. However, if your
> application is complex then Java shows its mettle.
>
> You *can* write nice PHP code, but it requires a disciplined developer.
> You can also write horrible Java code, although its less permissive
> about what it allows at compile time (strong typing).
>
> The point is that each language has its role, and I think blanket
> statements like "PHP is not a language" are not helpful. Python for
> example is a great language, and we have used it several times to
> develop quick solutions that would have been substantially more
> difficult in Java.
>
> However, with the infrastructure around Java/Struts/Velocity the actual
> code you have to write is greatly reduced, and whats left is simplified.
> For web apps Java/Tomcat/Struts/Velocity remains a credible and
> effective solution.
>
> The downside to Java I feel is a pretty long learning curve compared to
> other languages. It is certainly more verbose, and has quite a few
> elements that make life complex.
>
> PHP and Python on the other hand have not developed the same
> infrastructure to date, although if you want a CMS there are many
> options that will be a good start.
>
> As for performance, I must agree that performance is a question of
> architecture and complexity. Complex applications will be slower because
> they need more DB time and more CPU. The best way to handle this is - as
> a previous poster said, keep everything cached where possible, hit the
> db the least possible, and keep the architecture open so you can deploy
> multiple web servers as part of a cluster.

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com