velocity-user mailing list archives

From Peter Harrison <pe...@nbn.co.nz>
Subject Re: Switching from PHP to Java/Velocity, Performance?
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:55:01 GMT
Dominik Bruhn wrote:
> Hy Will,
> thanks to your response. My question was not only concerning Velocity but also
> about Java in General in Comparison to PHP. I hope that there are some
> Developers who have user Java and Velocity in realy huge sites.

You must also consider complexity. If you have a site which is simple
then PHP will probably be fine, even under heavy load. However, if your
application is complex then Java shows its mettle.

You *can* write nice PHP code, but it requires a disciplined developer.
You can also write horrible Java code, although its less permissive
about what it allows at compile time (strong typing).

The point is that each language has its role, and I think blanket
statements like "PHP is not a language" are not helpful. Python for
example is a great language, and we have used it several times to
develop quick solutions that would have been substantially more
difficult in Java.

However, with the infrastructure around Java/Struts/Velocity the actual
code you have to write is greatly reduced, and whats left is simplified.
For web apps Java/Tomcat/Struts/Velocity remains a credible and
effective solution.

The downside to Java I feel is a pretty long learning curve compared to
other languages. It is certainly more verbose, and has quite a few
elements that make life complex.

PHP and Python on the other hand have not developed the same
infrastructure to date, although if you want a CMS there are many
options that will be a good start.

As for performance, I must agree that performance is a question of
architecture and complexity. Complex applications will be slower because
they need more DB time and more CPU. The best way to handle this is - as
a previous poster said, keep everything cached where possible, hit the
db the least possible, and keep the architecture open so you can deploy
multiple web servers as part of a cluster.