velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Locke" <plo...@abebooks.com>
Subject RE: Switching from PHP to Java/Velocity, Performance?
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:10:49 GMT
I'm coming into this conversation late, but I want to throw in my 2 cents.

Performance:  Java+Velocity is definitely capable of running the most
demanding enterprise websites.  We get many many many millions of unique hits
to our Java+Velocity pages every day and they are the core of our business.
If you are able to migrate to Java 5, then do so as the garbage collection
tuning and improvements will allow you to squeeze more life out of your
hardware.

Load balancing:  As was mentioned, the easiest way is to scale across
multiple servers is to go stateless and use a central database for stateful
data, but this isn't always practical nor is it fast if you need to persist a
lot of data.  We use a commercial distributed cache solution, but there are
free ones out there also depending on the level of complexity, performance,
and reliability you need. Tomcat 5 clusters can share session state if that
is all you need and your network configuration permits it -
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/11/24/replication1.html

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben [mailto:benjamin@pcguy.org]
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:58 PM
To: Velocity Users List
Subject: Re: Switching from PHP to Java/Velocity, Performance?

Just speaking from experience, don't want to start any server wars here:) Had
a high traffic site running on Tomcat and then switched to Resin and noticed
the improvement, also mentioned this to somebody and he gave me the 3x
figure, guess the only way to know for sure for any specific site/application
is to run benchmarks in both tomcat and resin and see which one works best
for you.