velocity-user mailing list archives

From Will Glass-Husain <wgl...@forio.com>
Subject Re: Static Template Validation?
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 20:28:21 GMT
Elmar,

Nice idea.  It's been discussed briefly on the list before, but there's
no implementation.  There's two sides to it.  (1) validation of template
and (2) performance improvement through compilation.  My personal
opinion is that validation would be a major benefit, but that
compilation may or may not matter.  (Performance with Velocity's built
in caching system is pretty good).

WILL

Elmar J├╝rgens wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am using Velocity to generate Java classes for a custom target
> framework (also written in Java).
> Every time I change my target framework, I have to adapt my velocity
> templates accordingly.
>
> I am looking for a way to statically validate the Java code contained
> in my velocity templates, in order to automatically find those spots
> in my templates that I have to adapt to a change in the underlying
> framework.
>
> My first guess at a static template validator would be to somehow
> transform a Java-generating-template into something one can more or
> less hand to a Java compiler for static validation.
> Does something like this already exist? Any other ideas?
>
> Any comments, explanations, wild ideas or pointers to additional
> material very much appreciated!
>

> Best greetings,
> Elmar Juergens

Forio Business Simulations