velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A 1.5 release date?
Date Sat, 06 May 2006 16:11:08 GMT
Hi Demetrios,

In the many years i have been using and developing Velocity, there has
never been a planned release date.  Occasionally one of the developers
will put out a rough target timeline that may include a goal for a
release (usually no more specific than a month or a quarter), but
those are notoriously unreliable.

The current plan is to release Velocity 1.5 once a specific set of
issues in our bugtracker have been resolved.  I'm sorry if that is
unsatisfying, but the situation is currently such that everyone seems
to have higher priorities at the moment.  Velocity is very stable and
useable.  Our personal lives, other projects, and paid work are the
squeaky wheels at the moment.  I personally find 1.5 to be greatly
improved from 1.3.1 or 1.4.  It doesn't have an official release yet,
because we hope to fix a few more old bugs first.  But it is quite
stable at this point.  I would not fear beginning to use it already.

If you really want to push us to get a 1.5 release out the door, then
you should be able to push it yourself quite effectively.  The issues
targeted for resolution in 1.5 are publicly viewable in our JIRA
instance, so anyone can offer up patches and solutions for them.  I
will also happily assist anyone working on those as much as i am able
and then test and commit any patches they create.  I just can't
currently prioritize the time to investigate and solve them myself.

-nathan