velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A 1.5 release date?
Date Sat, 06 May 2006 18:32:05 GMT
On 5/6/06, Ahmed Mohombe <amohombe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I just can't
> > currently prioritize the time to investigate and solve them myself.
> Than if none of the Velocity developers has time for the project, IMHO it would
> be fair to say and state that, so that everybody knows Velocity is "de facto abandoned"
(or
> "dormant" in Apache language if I'm not wrong).

Uh... no.  not at all.

First, did i not just offer time for the project?  Am i not putting in
time right now?  Just because i don't have time to do all the work to
fix the trivial bugs left in 1.5 myself *right now* doesn't mean that
don't have time for the project.  That's nonsense.

Second, whether or not the developers have time for a project at a
given point absolutely does not mean that we have abandoned it.
Unless your definition of abandoned means "uses the latest version,
participates in the community around the code, and fully intends to
work more in the future".  If that is your definition of "de facto
abandoned", then you are completely correct!!  Isn't that great?

> Asking from newbies to "fix themselfs" is not OK IMHO and not the right signal IMHO.

I didn't ask him to fix it himself.  Quite the contrary.  I said he
could push things forward if he wanted, and that i would happily help
him as i am able!  If you are not getting the right signal, it is
because you have preconcieved conclusions and are letting them
interfere with your ability to read.

> I can imagine that this is one of the most important but "not spoken because of netiquette"
reason
> so many moved to FreeMarker.

If Freemarker fits your needs better, please go use it and don't waste
my time with politics.

> If a user has to fix for himself every library is depending on than it simply makes no
sense to use
> those libraries at all.

Funny, and i thought that was what open source was all about...  it's
certainly how i got into this.  You could also check out WebMacro.
There's actually a company behind that.  Seems like it would fit your
paradigm better than Freemarker or Velocity.