velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <revu...@wanadoo.es>
Subject Re: Status of this project
Date Sat, 06 May 2006 12:07:04 GMT
Townson, Chris wrote:

> Vis-a-vis JSP: don't do it! Velocity is far cleaner and simpler.
>
> You could also consider Freemarker. I haven't tried it myself, but the project's lead
developer will tell you
> very insistently, over and over again ;D) that it's great. It has similar framework support
to Velocity.

Well, it's normal that I, of all people, will tell you that FreeMarker
is great and compare it favorably to competitors, such as Velocity.

However, it's not just me. If you do a search in tech blogs, you will
see a growing number of cases of people switching from Velocity to
FreeMarker. For example, in May 2005, the Webwork project switched from
Velocity to FreeMarker as their default view component. Here is a blog
entry mentioning that.

http://jroller.com/page/webwork2live?anchor=switch_to_freemarker_from_velocity

More recently, the Hibernate-tools project (part of JBossIDE) switched
from Velocity to FreeMarker. Here is a blog entry providing some of the
reasoning behind that decision.

http://blog.hibernate.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/2006/02/03#a_story_about_freemarker_and_velocity

Or, consider, for example:

http://blog.nominet.org.uk/tech/Web/2005/06/29/Switching+from+Velocity+to+FreeMarker.html

The above are all examples of people who had been using Velocity for
some time, who, tired of the Velocity's limitations and the lack of any
forward movement in addressing these issues, switched to using FreeMarker.

As best I can determine, one simply does not see blog entries detailing
a switch in the other direction, from FreeMarker to Velocity. Also, our
user list is full of people who are ex-Velocity users and I don't see
ex-FreeMarker users on this list. All the movement is in the
Velocity->FreeMarker direction. The only example of anybody switching in
that direction that I can find is the following one:

http://www.howardism.org/thoughts/001511.html

In that article, Howard Abrams, a FreeMarker user, relates how he tried
to use Velocity but went back to FreeMarker because Velocity's
limitations were too frustrating. (Note that in his preamble, Howard has
some of the project history wrong. FreeMarker actually predates Velocity.)

I think it right and proper to point this out, because Chris seems to
want to give the impression that this is just a case of me blowing my
own horn, as it were. That is not the case, however.

Regards,

Jonathan Revusky