velocity-user mailing list archives

From Demetrios Kyriakis <demetrios_kyria...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: A 1.5 release date?
Date Sat, 06 May 2006 19:28:31 GMT
Nathan thank you very much for the insights of the Apache (esp.
Velocity) way of work. See my comments below, but please don't put too
my weight on my newbie option :):

> In the many years i have been using and developing Velocity, there has
> never been a planned release date.
My logic doesn't say this is the best thing :) - I mean just because it
was always done so is not a reason enough for me :) - as a newbie I
might be totally wrong, I know :).

> Occasionally one of the developers
> will put out a rough target timeline that may include a goal for a
> release (usually no more specific than a month or a quarter), but
> those are notoriously unreliable.
I see, your point. However to know that 1.5 will come out in summer 2006,
or Christmas 2006 or just summer 2007 (or not at all) would be
interesting for everybody - I think.

> The current plan is to release Velocity 1.5 once a specific set of
> issues in our bugtracker have been resolved.  I'm sorry if that is
> unsatisfying, but the situation is currently such that everyone seems
> to have higher priorities at the moment.  Velocity is very stable and
> useable.  Our personal lives, other projects, and paid work are the
> squeaky wheels at the moment.  I personally find 1.5 to be greatly
> improved from 1.3.1 or 1.4.  It doesn't have an official release yet,
> because we hope to fix a few more old bugs first.
> But it is quite
> stable at this point.  I would not fear beginning to use it already.
The main problem is that in many projects a "dev" version is not really
accepted,
and even worse, if that "dev" version doesn't even have an approximate
release date( it might remain "dev" forever), than everybody laughs if
one is trying to propose the use of such a library.

> If you really want to push us to get a 1.5 release out the door, then
> you should be able to push it yourself quite effectively.
No I can't :(. I'm a newbie in this domain and if I have to do this
myself too, than it's much simpler for me to implement myself what I
need - since I can master my own library/code much better.
Also, if the project manager asks, I can't evaluate the risk and the
effort for an unknown external library - not so for my own code. Well at
least that's my feeling after being burned with other external libraries :).

Thank you very much,

D.