velocity-user mailing list archives

From apa...@recks.org
Subject Re: The role of filename-extensions in velocity development
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:47:39 GMT
Hi,

some background of the extensions used in Velocity:

*.vm  Velocity was designed to be a clean-room replacement for
       WebMacro, which uses the extension "*.wm".

*.vsl In analogy to "*.xsl" for the XSLT (XML Stylesheet
       Transfromation) Velocity implemented two applications
       Anakia and DVSL (Declarative Velocity Style Language)
       and therefore the adapted extension "*.vsl"

*.vtl This would be the most correct extension for velocity
       templates, but due to the historical source "*.vm" is
       more commonly used.

Since velocity does not care about the files it reads and
processes as templates, anything is possible. Velocity was
designed to allow transforming anything (even binary files)
and just to process the contained markup (references and
directives) passing through everything else unmodified.

I've see that Atlassian (company that creates the JIRA
issue tracking system and Confluence wiki) uses "*.vmd"
for decorator templates.

I'm sure that you can somehow configure VeloEclipse to also
take "*.vtl" as its extension.

Cheers,
Christoph