velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Bill Rishel" <illu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting a velocity engine in Spring
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:44:39 GMT
On 8/21/06, Nathan Bubna <nbubna@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using Spring MVC for about a year with JSP/JSTL
> (unfortunately; decision out of my hands).  There are many great
> things about it, but despite all its flexibility and features, it
> occasionally suffers from do-too-much-for-you problems that make it
> hard to do things different than prescribed.
>
> All that said, I have not as yet used their Velocity integration, so i
> don't know the best way to get the VelocityEngine their view class is
> using.  I'm guessing you've seen that you can get the VelocityEngine
> in a subclass of VelocityView
Yes... I am assuming that I will possibly be deriving from VelocityView
when I understand the process enough to know where I will be doing
that.

> http://www.springframework.org/docs/api/org/springframework/web/servlet/view/velocity/VelocityView.html
>
> but i don't know that that will get it for you at the point you need
> it during a request.  if not, my initial reaction is to just encourage
> to configure your own VelocityEngine using the same properties/config
> as the one Spring does, if possible.  Using the same properties/config
> should keep things rendering the same.
>
> does that help?

Sure does. I realize that I will have to do some considerable digging
into Spring to figure this out, and your comments give me some
orientation on how to focus my efforts.

Thanks!
Bill