velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jason Pettiss <jason.pett...@TheCatalis.com>
Subject Re: Best Servlet Container
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:38:44 GMT
It's just a prudent thing to do for any medium-to-large project.  For
small internal-only IT projects, you probably wouldn't bother.

The benefits are many... performance, scalability, security,
flexibility, and cost.  For low-traffic sites you'll mainly just like
having the flexibility of Apache.  Maybe it's SSL, or gzip-compression,
or memory caching, or that you want to relocate some of your media with
a url rewrite to accommodate your developers.  Finding someone to
configure Apache is easy.  Getting a developer to muck with Tomcat is
annoying.

For high-traffic sites, it's just essential.  At one company we had two
media servers running only IIS to serve all static content... one was
mostly idle just in case the first went down.  But the bank of 20-40
machines running our servlet engine was almost always maxing the CPU on
each.  Serving static on each would have been a pain in the neck to
manage (enormous amounts of static content) but probably also would have
bumped up the number of servers needed.  And eventually we realized we
were paying out the nose for bandwidth-- shipping our static content out
to an Akamai or whatever was easy since we'd done the separation from
the start.

Jason