velocity-user mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: The Guardian website moves to Velocity
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 23:05:19 GMT
On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 23:24 +0200, Jonathan Revusky wrote:
> Bobby boy, I am going to put my money where my mouth is. You can check
> out our docgen module and run it. If you can rewrite that XML
> transformation in XSLT and get it to run faster than the FM one we have,
> using any Java XSLT implementation, I will wire you $500. Or I'll donate
> the $500 to the charity of your choice, like maybe the W3C fan club.
>
> And better yet, I will eat my words in public.
>
> I do not believe you can do that. I think you're full of shit and I'm
> now officially getting tired of this conversation.
>
> The FTL that transforms the docs is, IIRC, about 400 lines. Rewrite it
> in XSLT and get it to run faste. An easy 500 bucks, go for it, dude.

Sure, OK. First I will check the validity of your docs (they are valid,
right?), then I will try docbook XSL as is, if that doesn't cut it I
will try to write my own. I will try with the old XSL 1.0 as well. Not
tonight, perhaps over the weekend though. Perhaps I will donate a
FreeMakerDocumentationGeneratorTool to Velocity Tools project :)

Oh, does it count if I just use the browser and RESTfully GET the XML
source so that no time is needed at all on your part - 0ms?

How about this: Instead of the $500, how about you never post to the
Velocity list again? If that is too great a price for you, then I would
do it for the $500.

best,
-Rob

p.s. I prefer 'Robbie darling'