velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AbstractPagerTool
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 21:09:52 GMT
setup(HttpServletRequest) is called every request.  you only want to
call setItems() once per list being paginated.   if there is an
HttpSession for the request, then the call to setItems() will try to
store the item list in the session.  this would then let you do:

public void setup(HttpServletRequest req)
       {
                       ParameterParser pp = new ParameterParser(req);
                       setIndex(pp.getInt("index",0));
                       setItemsPerPage(pp.getInt("show", 10));

                       setSlipSize(10);

                       if (!hasItems()) {
                            List tradelist = getDataFromDatabase();
                            setItems(tradelist);
                       }
       }

in general, though, it is up to you to see that setItems() isn't
called on every request.  the solution above will work if the item
list never changes, but they often do.  so, you'll probably also want
to create some hook to refresh the item list when appropriate.