velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <revu...@wanadoo.es>
Subject Re: The Guardian website moves to Velocity
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 23:20:10 GMT
Robert Koberg wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 23:24 +0200, Jonathan Revusky wrote:
>
>>Bobby boy, I am going to put my money where my mouth is. You can check
>>out our docgen module and run it. If you can rewrite that XML
>>transformation in XSLT and get it to run faster than the FM one we have,
>>using any Java XSLT implementation, I will wire you $500. Or I'll donate
>>the $500 to the charity of your choice, like maybe the W3C fan club.
>>
>>And better yet, I will eat my words in public.
>>
>>I do not believe you can do that. I think you're full of shit and I'm
>>now officially getting tired of this conversation.
>>
>>The FTL that transforms the docs is, IIRC, about 400 lines. Rewrite it
>>in XSLT and get it to run faste. An easy 500 bucks, go for it, dude.
>

> Sure, OK. First I will check the validity of your docs (they are valid,
> right?),

Sure, we read it in with a validating parser.

then I will try docbook XSL as is, if that doesn't cut it I
> will try to write my own. I will try with the old XSL 1.0 as well. Not
> tonight, perhaps over the weekend though. Perhaps I will donate a
> FreeMakerDocumentationGeneratorTool to Velocity Tools project :)
>
> Oh, does it count if I just use the browser and RESTfully GET the XML
> source so that no time is needed at all on your part - 0ms?
>
> How about this: Instead of the $500, how about you never post to the
> Velocity list again? If that is too great a price for you, then I would
> do it for the $500.

$500 is the offer. Don't quibble, it's a pretty good offer, since you
don't have to send me anything when you fail.

It's not open-ended. I'll give you a whole month. YOu need more time? I
think that's enough time to report success/failure.

The current thing is 'ant transform'. The task takes 4 seconds on my
DELL PIV at 1.6 Ghz. It reads in an 800K docbook XML and generates 149
HTML files. I misspoke earlier. There is 900 lines of FTL in there. The
driver program is 400 lines of java.

It takes 4 seconds on my machine. You give me an XSLT transformation
that does the same thing in 3 seconds and I wire you 500 bucks.

Jonathan Revusky