velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <revu...@wanadoo.es>
Subject Re: The Guardian website moves to Velocity
Date Sun, 13 May 2007 21:57:49 GMT
Jason Pettiss wrote:
>> check >>out our docgen module and run it. If you can rewrite that XML
>> have, >>using any Java XSLT implementation, I will wire you $500. Or
>> I'll donate >>the $500 to the charity of your choice, like maybe the
>> W3C fan club.

>> > How about this: Instead of the $500, how about you never post to the
>> > Velocity list again? If that is too great a price for you, then I would
>> > do it for the $500.
>

>> $500 is the offer. Don't quibble, it's a pretty good offer, since you
>> don't have to send me anything when you fail.
>>
>> It's not open-ended. I'll give you a whole month. YOu need more time?
>> I think that's enough time to report success/failure.
>

> But what about the $500.  I think you owe Robert some money.  I do know
> how to set up my classpath properly

<sigh>

If a person asks "What do I need to put on the classpath to run this
thing?" does it logically follow, in your opinion, that the person
asking the question does not, in general, understand the classpath?

> and at least on my machine, this is
> just a little bit faster than FreeMarker.

It's not the same output. He's not generating index and glossary and I
dunno what else. So it's not good enough.

And he said that an XSLT transformation would "blow away" our
transformation and it doesn't. Note that there has been zero effort to
optimize FM for speed, while apparently a lot of work has gone into XSLT
processors by very smart people. Somehow the regular general purpose
docbookx stuff was 15x slower than our FM transform 3 or 4 years ago and
now it's only 3-4x slower.

I'm withdrawing from this and I don't really care what you say now about
that. I was agitated and somehow got snookered (or snookered myself, I
admit) into this stupid conversation -- as if the speed matters at all,
within these parameters. FM is plenty fast for most usages. The main
advantage over XSLT has nothing to do with performance; it's that, for
most people, it is very hard (maybe impossible) to get their heads
around XSLT. You can look back and I never made a _general_ claim about
FM vs. XSLT performance-wise.

I admit that I never thought, given our previous results, that there was
any chance it could be anywhere near as fast using XSLT. So that's
interesting. (Also, I thought there was next to no chance he was going
to work on this anyway.) Still, equally fast is not good enough. The
claim was that XSLT would blow away what we did performance-wise and now
you and he are trying to claim that equally fast backs up what he was
saying. That it's a shade faster when you're cutting corners and not
generating index and glossary doesn't cut it.

Jonathan Revusky
--
lead developer, FreeMarker, project, http://freemarker.org/