velocity-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Garey <>
Subject Re: Problem with referencing a stylesheet from an XML document generated by a Velocity template
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 21:58:49 GMT
Nathan -

    I believe that I have done what you suggested. I created a class 
MyVelocityViewServlet that extends VelocityViewServlet. It contains only 
an overridden setContentType(request, response) which pulls an attribute 
out of the request and sets the content type of the response based on 
the value of the attribute.
    Through debugging statements, I can see that the attribute I set is 
picked up and the content type is set (to 'text/xml'): nevertheless, the 
output of the Velocity template is not being formatted by the stylesheet 
at the browser; and, when I look at the page info (in Firefox) the 
content type is 'text/html'.

    Is there a further step I have to take?


PS - Here is my setContentType

   protected void setContentType(HttpServletRequest request, 
HttpServletResponse response) {
        String ct = (String)request.getAttribute("contenttype");
        if(ct != null) {
            System.out.println("contenttype found: " + ct);
        } else {
            System.out.println("no contenttype attribute found");
            super.setContentType(request, response);

Nathan Bubna wrote:
> actually, b) is true too.  the VVS does explicitly set the content type.
> either way, you should extend the VVS.  the key method to override is
> the setContentType(request, response) method.
> to be able to tell what content type to set, you will want to push an
> indicator (or the content type value itself) into the request
> attributes, pull it out in your setContentType() impl and then call
> response.setContentType() there.
    On 6/8/07, Garey <> wrote:
    Nathan -

        I tried setting the content type from the template and no joy. I
    also tried setting the content type in the response
    from my logic before passing the request off to the
    Also no go. I suppose that is because either a) the handoff to the
    ViewServlet is a forward so the View servlet doesn't even see my
    response, or b) the ViewServlet explicitly sets the content type. Since
    a) is more probable, I will probably have to extend the ViewServlet.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message