velocity-user mailing list archives

From mclai <mc...@mail.com>
Subject #evaluate directive
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:01:05 GMT

The following code is found in velocity user guide
http://velocity.apache.org/engine/devel/user-guide.html#evaluate
http://velocity.apache.org/engine/devel/user-guide.html#evaluate :

#set($source1 = "abc")
#set($select = "1")
#set($dynamicsource = "$source$select")
#evaluate($dynamicsource)

It is supposed to print "abc" according to the user guide but in fact, the
result to me is that it prints:
#evaluate($source1)

The above code doesn't work for me.  Do I miss something?

I am very new to velocity and I know it is a silly question.  Could anyone
kindly tell me why I have different result and how could I correctly use
#evaluate directive to print the right answer?

However, if I changed to use ViewRenderTool for VTL evaluation, it will
print "abc" as expected.   Is #evaluate no longer to work?  I guess I must
miss some major steps in order to make #evaluate work.  Please post if
someone knows why.  Thank you.  The following is the working VTL which uses
$render.eval().

#set($source1 = "abc")
#set($select = "1")
#set($dynamicsource = "$source$select")