velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unicode in Velocity
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 16:08:20 GMT
On 8/8/07, Gary M. Catlin <gcatlin78@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply, but not sure if that will help. My solution
> needs to be at a higher level. I need to "set" a variable with a unicode
> value, and to output this value before and after a block of output:
>
> #set ($v = "\uf00b")

Unfortunately, this was broken. It has been fixed in Velocity 1.6 though.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-520

If you aren't interested in building 1.6 from source yourself (it has
no releases yet), then you could create a "tool" that creates
arbitrary unicode characters for you.  Since i was curious of how to
do this myself, i wrote one for you:

    public class UnicodeTool
    {
        public static String get(String code)
        {
            if (code != null && code.startsWith("\\u"))
            {
                code = code.substring(2, code.length());
            }
            return get(Integer.valueOf(code,16));
        }

        public static String get(int codePoint)
        {
            return String.valueOf(Character.toChars(codePoint));
        }
    }

Just put an instance in the context as "unicode" and use it in the
template like this:

#set( $v = $unicode.get('f00b') )