velocity-user mailing list archives

From "White, Tim" <Tim.Wh...@qwest.com>
Subject RE: Subclassing VelocityLayoutServlet?
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:04:41 GMT
Perfect, thanks Nathan!

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Bubna [mailto:nbubna@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:39 PM
To: Velocity Users List
Subject: Re: Subclassing VelocityLayoutServlet?

The standard method for making variables available to all templates is
via the Toolbox support.

If these variables are simple values (String, Number, or Boolean), then
i'd recommend putting them in your toolbox.xml as data elements.
If they are more complicated types, consider whether the classes needed
can be used as tools or retrieved from a custom tool.

If they can't be provided directly from the toolbox as either a tool or
data, and you want them to be directly available (as $myvar instead of
$myvartool.myvar), then you should override the createContext(...)
method in a subclass of the VelocityLayoutServlet like this:

protected Context createContext(HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response) {
        Context ctx = super.createContext(request, response);
        //TODO: add your global vars here
        return ctx;
}