velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tools in non-web application
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:25:40 GMT
On Nov 15, 2007 12:17 PM, Bensman, Jeff [EESUS Non J&J]
<JBensma1@eesus.jnj.com> wrote:
> I'm using Velocity as an embedded template engine in a non-web application.  I'm trying
to figure out how to use the GenericTools, like DateTool.

> The only mention I seem to be able to find on this topic is in this post:
> http://marc.info/?l=velocity-user&m=115820816716807&w=2
>
> But this message is from late '06.  Do I still need to just create an instance of the
tool and add it to my context?  Or has a newer solution evolved that I'm just missing?

if you only need one or two simple tools and things are pretty stable,
then yeah, just create an instance and go for it.  but also yes,
better support for this stuff is evolving in VelocityTools2:
http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/VelocityTools2/StandaloneUse