velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Hill, David" <David.H...@FMR.COM>
Subject RE: Poll: IteratorTool usage
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:01:44 GMT
[X] - I have never used IteratorTool

 Dave Hill

 Devonshire Investors Global Solutions
 25 Manchester Street, Mailstop: TH2B
 Merrimack, NH 03054
 Phone:      (603) 791-7197
 Fax:         (603) 578-7250
 Email:       david.hill@fmr.com

Email Confidentiality Notice: The information in this email and
subsequent attachments may contain confidential information that is
intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
This message or any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied,
distributed or retained by any person without authorization from
Fidelity Investments.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Bubna [mailto:nbubna@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 3:43 PM
To: Velocity Users List; Velocity Developers List
Subject: Poll: IteratorTool usage

hey folks,

for VelocityTools 2.0, i'm thinking of deprecating/replacing the
IteratorTool with something a bit simpler and more understandable.
but i'd like to know if/how much people actually use it before i do
so.  So please place yourself in a category below:

[] - I regularly use and appreciate IteratorTool
[] - I use IteratorTool on occasion
[] - I have a legacy app that uses IteratorTool, but do not expect to
use it further
[] - I have never used IteratorTool
[] - I have never even noticed/heard of IteratorTool :)

Thanks!

Oh, and if you're curious, i'm envisioning a replacement called
LoopTool that would probably just offer watch($list) and break()
methods to start and hopefully be a little easier to understand and
use.  The syntax i'm hoping to provide would be something like

#foreach( $item in $loop.watch($items) )
$item
#if( $item eq 'some break condition' )$loop.break()#end
#end

Though i may think of ways to simplify things further still or add
some more useful, easy to understand uses, and of course, i haven't
implemented it yet.  So things may have to change somewhat as i try to
deal with things like nested watched loops and such. :)