velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: template in a Tapestry 5 app
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:20:29 GMT
If you need to access templates (aka vm files) from within a webapp,
you should use the WebappLoader provided as part of the VelocityTools
project.  Velocity itself (and especially the FileResourceLoader,
which is the default resource loader) is completely clueless about
webapps.

If you have some opposition to using the webapp support in
VelocityTools and really insist on just using plain Velocity itself,
then you will probably want to use the ClasspathResourceLoader and put
your templates in the classpath.  The FileResourceLoader is really not
meant to be used with webapps.

If, for some obscure reason, you really want to use the
FileResourceLoader, then you will need to either figure out what the
JVM your webapp is running in considers the "current directory" and
put your templates there or else you will actually need to configure
the file.resource.loader.path to an absolute path and put your
templates there.

These are most of your options.  I highly recommend you just add
VelocityTools (particularly the velocity-view-1.4.jar) to your webapp
and tell velocity to use the WebappLoader as the resource loader).  If
you need more specific instructions on how to do this, then search the
mailing list archives (velocity.markmail.org) or read the
documentation or ask on this list.