velocity-user mailing list archives

From Claude Brisson <cla...@renegat.net>
Subject RE: Server-side redirect from VelocityTools?
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:37:34 GMT
Le jeudi 26 juin 2008 à 15:42 -0600, White, Tim a écrit :
> > I don't use any centralized controller anymore - never understood why
> it was an
> > advantage. So I'm using a kind of MV paradigm with a decentralized
> controller,
> > and I'm very happy with it. It's quite straightforward and more
> flexible.
>
> Right - I'm trying to do more of a 'pull' MVC model, where I centralize
> the business logic into Velocity Tools, rather than into the
> controllers.
>
> A classic example of needing to do a server side redirect though is "are
> we authenticated?  No?  Back to the login page, please".

Ah. For this very specific example, I use a filter (the Velosurf's
AuthenticationFilter) - but for a tiny webapp, it could hold.

I'll give another example:

Whenever I commit forms (which have many and/or text fields), I use the
"redirect after post" technic, mainly to avoid the "would you like to
resubmit data?" (or alike) dialog which pops up when the user just wants
to refresh the page.

For this purpose, I use small "action templates" (*.do => my
ActionServlet) in which I use VTL as a basic scripting language (who can
do the most can do the least) that look typically like this:

#if($some_model_object.validate($params))
  #do_something_with($params)
  #redirect("/thank_you.vtl")
#else
  $logger.error("Houston, we've got a problem: $query")
  #seterror("please try again!")
  #redirect("/the_form.vtl")
#end

	Claude