velocity-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Tarau <adrian.ta...@intellisoftsystems.com>
Subject Re: [SURVEY] IntrospectorCache(Listener)
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:36:35 GMT
The best way to implement listeners (as you may see in
EventListenerList) is to work with arrays.They are immutable and have
the lowest memory footprint(instead of HashSet/ArrayList or any
concurrent class).

Eventually you can skip copying the listeners array if you manage
everything locally instead of having a class like EventListnerList(need
it - maybe - if you fire events at a really high rate, so you want to
avoid creating an array every time). If you encapsulate array changes in
a class ArrayUtilities you will not add to much code to implement
add/remove/fire listeners.

public class A {

Listener[] listeners =  new Listener[0] ;

// add a new listener
public void addListener(Listener listener) {
    listeners = ArrayUtilities.addObject(listeners, listener);
}

// remove a listener
public void removeListener(Listener listener) {
    listeners = ArrayUtilities.removeObject(listeners, listener);
}

// fire event
public void fireCodeChanged(Event event) {
    Listener[] currentListeners =  this.listeners;
    foreach(Listener listener : listeners) {
        listener.onChange(event);
    }
}

Right now IntrospectorCacheImpl can fail with
ConcurrentModificationExceptions if you don't add synchronized to
addListener and removeListener.