velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: velocity.properties isn't being read
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:43:51 GMT
answers below...

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:50 AM, LAU, Roger, GBM <Roger.LAU@rbs.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a webapp to read template files from a template directory located under
the web application root /template/

> I tried to use the Velocity Singleton with the FileResourceLoader, specifying different
paths in velocity.properties such as

> file.resource.loader.path = ../webapps/app_name/template/
>
> But no matter what I set the path to, velocity still seems to use the default FileResourceLoader
path of '.'

> I've confirmed this by placing a template in $CATALINA_HOME/bin
> where velocity is able to find the template correctly. It seems as though the velocity.properties
file isn't being read.

> Here is my web.xml file. You can see I've got the <init-param>
>
> <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
>          xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>          xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
>          version="2.4">
>
>          <servlet>
>                   <servlet-name>automatchingServlet</servlet-name>
>
>                   <servlet-class>org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityViewServlet</servlet-class>
>
>                   <init-param>
>                             <param-name>org.apache.velocity.toolbox</param-name>
>                             <param-value>/WEB-INF/toolbox.xml</param-value>
>                   </init-param>
>
>                   <init-param>
>                             <param-name>properties</param-name>
>                             <param-value>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>
>                   </init-param>

this should be <param-name>org.apache.velocity.properties</param-name>

>          </servlet>
>
>          <servlet-mapping>
>                   <servlet-name>automatchingServlet</servlet-name>
>                   <url-pattern>*.vm</url-pattern>
>          </servlet-mapping>
> </web-app>
>
> How do I configure the FileResourceLoader to find my template files? I've read several
posts and although the WebappResourceLoader would be a good solution, but I'm not able to
use a beta version of velocity tools.

so don't use the beta version. :)  in VelocityTools 1.1 thru 1.4, the
default resource loader is the WebappLoader.   It works just as well
as the WebappResourceLoader in VelocityTools 2.x, because it is the
same class, just renamed to properly fit the conventions for resource
loader naming.  really, there is no need for the FileResourceLoader.
just change the param-name above and add this to your
velocity.properties:

webapp.resource.loader.path = /template/

that should do the trick.

> Thanks
> Roger

> The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312. Registered Office: 36
St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.