velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: velocity.properties isn't being read
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:47:00 GMT
your velocity.properties file looks fine, and if you are using
VelocityTools 1.4, then it should say in the logs if it managed to
load a custom velocity.properties.  So, it looks like your web.xml
still needs some adjustment.  Could you post that as it currently is?

Finally, you only need to use one of the velocity-tools-*-1.4.jar
files.  If you are using VelocityStruts, then use the
velocity-tools-1.4.jar.  If you are just using
VelocityViewServlet/VelocityLayoutServet and don't need Struts 1.x
integration, then just use the velocity-tools-view-1.4.jar.  It
includes all of the classes in the velocity-tools-generic-1.4.jar
already, so that is unnecessary.

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:32 AM, LAU, Roger, GBM <Roger.LAU@rbs.com> wrote:
> I'm using
>
> velocity-tools-1.4.jar
> velocity-tools-generic-1.4.jar
> velocity-tools-view-1.4.jar
>
> velocity.properties file....
>
> # config file
> #
> webapp.resource.loader.path = /templates/
> velocimacro.library = macro_library.vm
>
> # Filepath for error template, relative to web application root directory
> #
> tools.view.servlet.error.template = error.vm
>
> # Directory for layout templates, relative to web application root directory
> #
> tools.view.servlet.layout.directory = layout/
>
> # Filepath of the default layout template relative to the layout directory
> # NOT relative to the root directory of the webapp!
> #
> tools.view.servlet.layout.default.template =  default.vm
>

> Thanks
> Roger

under the web application root /template/

>>> I tried to use the Velocity Singleton with the FileResourceLoader, specifying
different paths in velocity.properties such as

>>> file.resource.loader.path = ../webapps/app_name/template/
>>>
>>> But no matter what I set the path to, velocity still seems to use the default
FileResourceLoader path of '.'

>>> I've confirmed this by placing a template in $CATALINA_HOME/bin
>>> where velocity is able to find the template correctly. It seems as though the
velocity.properties file isn't being read.

>>> Here is my web.xml file. You can see I've got the <init-param>
>>>
>>> <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
>>>          xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>>>          xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
>>>          version="2.4">
>>>
>>>          <servlet>
>>>                   <servlet-name>automatchingServlet</servlet-name>
>>>
>>>                   <servlet-class>org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityViewServlet</servlet-class>
>>>
>>>                   <init-param>
>>>                             <param-name>org.apache.velocity.toolbox</param-name>
>>>                             <param-value>/WEB-INF/toolbox.xml</param-value>
>>>                   </init-param>
>>>
>>>                   <init-param>
>>>                             <param-name>properties</param-name>
>>>                             <param-value>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>
>>>                   </init-param>
>>
>> this should be <param-name>org.apache.velocity.properties</param-name>
>>
>>>          </servlet>
>>>
>>>          <servlet-mapping>
>>>                   <servlet-name>automatchingServlet</servlet-name>
>>>                   <url-pattern>*.vm</url-pattern>
>>>          </servlet-mapping>
>>> </web-app>
>>>
>>> How do I configure the FileResourceLoader to find my template files? I've read
several posts and although the WebappResourceLoader would be a good solution, but I'm not
able to use a beta version of velocity tools.

>> so don't use the beta version. :)  in VelocityTools 1.1 thru 1.4, the
>> default resource loader is the WebappLoader.   It works just as well
>> as the WebappResourceLoader in VelocityTools 2.x, because it is the
>> same class, just renamed to properly fit the conventions for resource
>> loader naming.  really, there is no need for the FileResourceLoader.
>> just change the param-name above and add this to your
>> velocity.properties:
>>
>> webapp.resource.loader.path = /template/
>>
>> that should do the trick.
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Roger

>>> The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312. Registered Office:
36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.

>>> www.rbs.com/gbm